Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:40 am

Post subject: Removing Random Damage
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:40 pm 
Silverlode Interactive
Silverlode Interactive

Hey everyone. I've just been working on the much anticipated SAGA update and have a question about damage. I want to know what you think about how damage is done in SAGA right now. Each card has a min and max damage, and the game randomly chooses a value within that each time it attempts to take damage. Well, ultimately this comes to an average, which should be exactly in the middle of those two values.

I plan on removing the min and max damage values and making it purely a single damage value. In doing so, it should make no major changes to gameplay, but remove an unnecessary complexity to the game and code.

But, I really want to know how you all feel about it before I make a final decision.

Please respond, the world needs your voice!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:35 am 
SAGA Recruit

I think that sounds like a good idea......as long as units are balanced correctly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:37 pm 
SAGA Trooper

Hello all and hello Ayrik. Figured I'd check in and see what was going on.

As far as random damage, I'm kind of in favor of keeping it. It adds a little bit of unpredictability to combat which I think is a good thing. And in terms of realism, it seems more accurate. For example, an archer's arrow striking a soldier in the upper arm would theoretically do less damage than an arrow striking the soldier in the face. I think it's cool to have that variety in the damage mechanism of the game. And knowing that a unit you were unable to defeat last time might fall this time if you score luckier hits is motivating as well.

Excited to hear about a Saga update! I'm going to look around the site for more info on it. And I'll be reinstalling the game later today ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:47 am 
Silverlode Interactive
Silverlode Interactive

Well, after several strikes, you will see that the value becomes an average and the randomness means absolutely nothing. I doubt you ever notice the damage values in the game anyway aside from maybe spells.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:42 pm 
SAGA Trooper

I enjoy the randomness, although I understand that overall damage averages out after several hits are scored. I would really miss the random range of damage, unless eliminating that algorithm would significantly streamline the game's performance during large battles.

If random damage does end up being eliminated in favor of fixed damage, would it be possible to add a "critical hit" dynamic to battle? A 1% to 5% chance of a unit doing double damage on a hit would add a fun element, and might require less code and calculations to implement. Again, this would just average out during the course of a battle, but players would enjoy seeing the coolness of a critical hit landing every once in a while. (A critical hit feature would also open up the possibilities of new item and unit abilities to enhance critical hits.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:48 pm 
Silverlode Interactive
Silverlode Interactive

I think that is a much better solution. Great suggestion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:22 pm 
SAGA Trooper

I too agree that a critical hit option and the potential to buy up or enhance an opportunity for a critical hit could be the better way to go. Also, in that regard, not having it count into the static average - that makes for the variety that really does go that extra mile.

Elvindore

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:41 am 
SAGA Trooper

Sounds like a good idea.

Offline Profile